If you are facing charges related to a sex crime in Lexington, KY, Suhre & Associates, LLC, can help. Call us for a free consultation at (859) 569-4014. Hiring our qualified Lexington sex crimes lawyers offers you the best option to protect yourself, your family, and your reputation.
Being accused of a sex crime can be devastating. Your name becomes tainted and the community steers clear. There is a social stigma associated with sex crimes that is harsher than nearly any other crime.
This is why the firm you choose to represent you is critical. You are innocent until proven guilty. Our Lexington, Kentucky law firm will fight aggressively for you to be declared innocent. Any discussions we have with you are private and protected by attorney-client privilege. Contact our law office to get started with a free consultation today.
Why Hire Suhre & Associates, LLC, After a Sex Crime Charge in Lexington?
Our team at Suhre & Associates, LLC, will work to discredit those who made these sex crime accusations and demonstrate that you were accused unjustly. We strive to protect your public and personal image, and to keep your future from being destroyed by these charges. There is hope when you hire us.
Before you can be convicted, you have to be proven guilty, and we will put everything we have into getting you a “not guilty” verdict. Our Lexington criminal defense lawyers team has helped numerous clients just like you, and our track record shows our ability to get you the best outcome possible. Our record includes successful outcomes in rape crimes and sexual assault.
There are a few things to keep in mind immediately following a sex crime charge. What you say and do after you have been charged can sometimes mean the difference between a conviction and an acquittal:
- Do NOT speak to the police or a legal investigator without your defense attorney present.
- Do NOT try to contact your accuser to discuss the matter. Even if you are completely innocent, the smallest mistake in what you say and how you phrase it can be used against you. All such interactions should be conducted between your attorney and the accuser’s attorney.
- Do NOT speak to reporters, other media figures, or anyone else requesting your comment on the charges that have been leveled against you.
Let us handle all legal matters. That is our job and we are known throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky as skilled, highly-respected defense lawyers. We excel at discovering the facts and negotiating with the parties involved in any legal proceeding. Hiring us means having decades of combined legal experience, as well as the full resources of our Kentucky law firm behind you. We know the law, and we know how to work through the legal and court system.
As soon as you contact us, we will begin examining and analyzing the prosecution’s case against you. We will gather evidence such as witness statements, police reports, prosecution’s evidence, and deposing police officers and others who may have been involved. We also handle any and all discussions and interactions with the police and prosecution. With a clear and comprehensive understanding of your case, we immediately begin building your defense strategy. A number of factors go into our strategy. Among the issues we will consider as part of your defense are:
- Criminal history pertaining to sex-related crimes
- Extent of evidence against you
- Credibility of the accuser
- Severity of the charges (first, second, or third-degree charges)
Our lawyers in Lexington will do everything in our power to discredit the accuser. If evidence is indisputable, and a charge must be made, we will do everything we can to ensure you are able to plea to a lesser charge. This may help you avoid public scrutiny and not have to register on the Kentucky Sex Offender Registry.
If you, or a loved one, are facing accusations of a sex crime, contact us at Suhre & Associates for a free consultation. We will sit down with you and talk through these sex crime allegations. You have our word that we will fight for your innocence and future.
What are Sex Crimes in Kentucky?
The prevalence of sex crimes in Kentucky is higher than the national average. According to a survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control, 20.3% of women have experienced sexual assault and 19% of men also report being the victim of sexual violence. If you have been accused of any sex crime, the prevalence of these crimes in Kentucky can make proving your innocence difficult without competent legal representation.
Knowledgeable attorneys in your corner is the key to a successful outcome. Our firm is highly experienced in the field of sex crime defense, and we know how to navigate the legal issues in any sex crime charge. Sex offenses include:
- Sexual Assault (forcible, statutory rape, or date rape)
- Sexual Abuse
- Child Molestation
- Child Pornography
- Indecent Exposure
- Internet Sex Crimes
- Solicitation of Minors
- Sex Offender Registration Compliance
- Sexual Harassment
Our legal defense team will work diligently to disprove these accusations and safeguard your reputation. Do not speak to law enforcement, judges, or make any agreements regarding sexual accusation charges, without first contacting our legal team.
Penalties Following Conviction of a Sex Crime
Sex crimes can range from minor sexual misconduct to first degree sexual assault. Legal repercussions according to Kentucky sex crime laws are as follows:
- First Degree Sexual Assault/Abuse (Rape and Molestation): This serious charge can carry a sentence of 10-20 years imprisonment if a class B felony. If the victim is under 12, or is seriously injured, this charge can become a class A felony and carry a sentence of up to 50 years imprisonment.
- Second Degree Sexual Assault/Abuse (Rape): This class C felony can lead to a prison sentence of 5-10 years.
- Third Degree Sexual Assault/Abuse (Rape): This sexual misconduct is a class D felony with a sentence of 1-5 years.
Those accused of sexual assault are often threatened with additional charges, in conjunction with sexual assault. This can include charges of sexual misconduct, sodomy, and statutory rape:
- Sexual Misconduct: This charge questions the accuser’s consent in sexual intercourse and is a class A misdemeanor which carries up to one-year of imprisonment.
- Sodomy: This is a charge of deviate sexual intercourse, that ranges from a class A to class D felony depending on the age, and condition of the individual making the accusation.
- Statutory Rape: Kentucky does not penalize statutory rape as a charge itself, however, several provisions do criminalize sexual acts with minors.
Aside from the legal repercussions of sex crimes, including years in prison, court costs, massive fines, probation, and monitoring, your personal life and future will also be at risk. If you are convicted of a sex crime, no matter the severity of the crime, it negatively alters your quality of life. Employers, friends, family, and neighbors will know of the charges.
Do not let your reputation, your family’s reputation, and any future employment opportunities be destroyed. Trust your case to our highly-qualified criminal defense attorneys at Suhre & Associates.
Who Needs to Register on the Kentucky Sex Offender Registry?
Convictions of violent sex crimes such as rape, as well as any sexual assault allegations against a minor, require the assailant to register on the Kentucky Sex Offender website. Aside from destroying your reputation, being convicted of a sex crime and forced to register as a sex offender in Kentucky means that you’ll face:
- The inability to enter or reside near schools, city playgrounds, or daycare facilities. This includes being forced to move if a facility is built within 1000 feet of your residence.
- Restrictions and surveillance when traveling outside the United States.
Our team of Lexington sex crime lawyers at Suhre & Associates can help you avoid all these repercussions by working tirelessly to keep you from being convicted of a sex crime.
Risk Factors for Sex Crime Accusations
Anyone can be accused of a sex related crime. However, there are societal roles that can increase the likelihood that you could face these charges. Occupations and positions that are risk factors in increasing the likelihood of sex accusations include:
- Childcare Workers
- Volunteers in Children’s Organizations
- Religious Leaders
Even if you are innocent, being in these positions of authority where you deal with minors on a regular basis, can greatly increase the risk of being accused of a sex crime. An inappropriate email, a misinterpreted comment, innocently intended gestures—all these events could lead to accusations of sexual misconduct.
Our Lexington Sex Crimes Lawyers at Suhre & Associates, LLC Can Help
If you are facing charges related to a sex crime, we can help you fight these allegations. We understand that this is an embarrassing, stressful, exhausting, and emotionally strenuous time for you and your family. You are likely frightened and uncertain of what the future holds for you and how best to protect your life and family.
You can count on our Lexington sex crimes lawyers at Suhre & Associates, LLC to help relieve some of that burden. Let us deal with the legal process. We will launch a vigorous defense and stand by you throughout the entire process.
Contact us today to talk to our criminal defense team and get some preliminary legal advice. We pride ourselves on our discretion and on our non-judgmental approach to handling sex crimes cases. Put your trust in us. Call today.