Were you arrested for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol in Lexington, Kentucky? If so, you may be able to have the charges reduced to avoid the harsh penalties that accompany DUI convictions. The Lexington wet reckless lawyers at Suhre & Associates, LLC are here to minimize the impact of your criminal charges and ensure you’re treated fairly.
Our legal team has over 100 years of combined experience and includes a former prosecutor and a former police officer. We know how the other side thinks and are able to use that insight to secure favorable results for our clients.
Contact our law office at (859) 569-4014 to schedule a free and confidential consultation with our Lexington criminal defense attorneys. We’re available 24/7 to listen to your story and offer honest legal advice.
Table of Contents
How Can Suhre & Associates, LLC Help You Reduce a DUI To a Wet Reckless?
A DUI conviction can ruin your reputation and affect your ability to find employment in Lexington, KY. That’s why it’s essential to seek help from an experienced Lexington criminal defense lawyer who can protect your interests and preserve your future.
Suhre & Associates, LLC is here to help you through this challenging time and ensure that you obtain the best possible outcome in your DUI case. Whether you are innocent or simply had a lapse in judgment, we’ll defend you every step of the way.
If you enlist the help of our Lexington DUI attorneys, you can expect us to:
- Carefully evaluate the evidence against you to determine if there are any deficiencies in the prosecutor’s case
- Determine if there was any police misconduct at any point during your arrest, including a violation of your constitutional rights (e.g., lack of probable cause)
- Create a customized defense strategy based on the facts of your DUI case
- Negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf as we work to reduce your DUI charges to reckless driving or have them dropped altogether
- Argue your case at trial if we think it’s in your best interests
A plea deal may be the best bet in your DUI case, or we may be able to have the charges dismissed. We won’t know until we speak to you and review your case. Contact us today to schedule a free case assessment so we can start devising a winning defense strategy for you.
What Is a Wet Reckless in Kentucky?
A wet reckless is when someone charged with a DUI pleads guilty to reckless driving, a lesser offense. In certain circumstances, the prosecutor may offer you a plea bargain dropping the DUI charges and allowing you to plead guilty to reckless driving. This enables you to avoid the harsh consequences of a DUI conviction.
The state of Kentucky doesn’t have a specific statute involving a “wet reckless.” Your record will reflect the charge as reckless driving, which is less stigmatized than a DUI.
How Can You Reduce Your DUI Charge To a Wet Reckless in Kentucky?
It’s difficult to reduce a DUI to reckless driving in Kentucky. It will likely take an experienced Lexington DUI lawyer to advocate and negotiate with the prosecuting attorney on your behalf.
The prosecution may accept a wet reckless plea agreement if the following apply:
- Your blood alcohol content (BAC) was under (or near) the legal limit
- This is your first DUI
- No one was injured or killed as a result of your offense
- You were cooperative with law enforcement officers during your arrest
- There were no other aggravating circumstances, such as traveling over 30 mph over the speed limit or transporting a passenger who was under 12 years of age
Additionally, the prosecutor’s case may contain weaknesses, making it difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were under the influence (e.g., issues with the BAC test results). If that’s the case, our Lexington criminal defense attorneys may be able to have your DUI charges reduced to reckless driving or another lesser offense.
What Are the Consequences of a Wet Reckless vs. a DUI Conviction in Kentucky?
The penalties for a reckless driving offense in Kentucky are typically:
If you receive 12 points on your record within two years, your driving privileges may be suspended. Of course, if you receive a plea deal to reduce DUI charges to reckless driving, you may face other consequences, including harsher penalties.
A first-time DUI offense in Kentucky (within a ten-year period) could come with the following penalties:
- A fine between $200 and $500
- Between 48 hours and 30 days in jail
- Up to 90 days in an alcohol or substance abuse program
- License suspension for up to six months
- Limited driving privileges upon entrance into the Kentucky Ignition Interlock Program (KIIP)
Your punishment will depend on the circumstances of your charges. However, DUI penalties tend to be more severe than reckless driving or lesser traffic infractions. Contact our Lexington wet reckless attorneys to discuss your DUI charges and arrest. We’ll determine if we can have your DUI charges reduced or dismissed.
Contact Our Lexington Wet Reckless Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been charged with a DUI in Lexington, KY, you don’t have much time to act. Your freedom and reputation are on the line, meaning you need aggressive and knowledgeable legal representation to protect your future.
Contact the Lexington wet reckless lawyers at Suhre & Associates, LLC for the advocacy you need. We’ll put our century of combined experience to work for you to have your DUI criminal charges reduced or dismissed.